Friday, February 22, 2013

Posting from Hawaii

Currently I am in Kauai, Hawaii. I am focusing on taking photos of macro plants, and traveling themed photos. Last week I chose food as my concentration theme, I took photos of chocolate truffles, cookies I made, and french macrons I made. While taking the photos I found it very difficult to inject meaning into my photos because they were of food. I also feel it will be hard to layer food images, and that in doing a concentration on my "Joy of Baking", I felt limited to the desserts I could make, the colors, and the lack of story telling I could implement. I will continue to take photos of baking when I return home to my kitchen, however, I will use the time that I am traveling to develop a new idea for my concentration: traveling.
I will be taking several trips before the AP portfolios are due and I plan to take many photos on my trips. Already, on Tuesday I took photos in the airplane. Then, when we arrived I took many photos of the beach. Yesterday, we went on a long hike and I took photos of the beautiful Wailea Canyon. I believe that traveling has a more personal and deep connection to me because it's something I have done my entire life and I truly love. It's also something I am very passionate about, and I plan to do more of it in the future.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see photos from both of your ideas. I actually think the food photos are more original than the travel photos, although the interior and exterior of the plane photos could make an interesting diptych. While the travel photos are beautiful, they need something more. Have you thought of photographing the food at each of your travel destinations? Is there another topic you could do where you could include your incredible layering skills in photoshop? I appreciate your exploration of concentration ideas. It's important to be truly invested in whatever topic you explore. On a technical note, please rotate the image of the person on the beach. You also need to type a the title of your blog: Petra K in your header and include your concentration idea in your header. Also, add the student names link and artist links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. I just noticed you do have your blog titled correctly. Please just add the concentration statement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos of the food were really great. I enjoyed the macro photo of the raspberries because you could see the fine hairs inbetween the seeds, and it had rich color from the bright red. The food pictures turned out really well, it had strong textures and a variety of point of view. I also really liked the photo of the tree on the beach with the hammock. The trunk of the tree was off centered and the branches just sprouted into the top of the photo. I had a sense of relaxation and tranquility from that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the photos of the food! They looked so good and made me want to eat them. I think that all of your food shots are really unique, and the nature shots were interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete